Friday, January 27, 2012

Vitamin D = Sun

Sun exposure gives you baby stronger bones
My first pediatrician wasn't very good, and here is one example why I decided to find a new doctor for my baby. On our second visit she told me that I must buy Tri-Vi-Sol Vitamins Supplement Drops by Enfamil because my baby needs vitamins, especially Vitamin D.

When I told her that I am breastfeeding and as far as I know my daughter gets all the vitamins and nutrients from the breast milk, she told me that my baby needs more vitamin D because she does not get it from the breast milk. During our conversation my thought process was: why would I give my baby, baby that drinks only breast milk some vitamins that I don't know how they are made and what preservatives they have, any preservatives are not natural, no matter how "organic" the vitamins are, they still have chemicals in them.

Sun is main and primary source of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps our bodies absorb calcium which helps us to have stronger and healthier bones as well as teeth. Babies need to develop healthy bones to support them when siting up, crawling and walking. Our skin produces vitamin D when directly exposed to ultraviolet rays of sunlight.

 The best vitamins are the one's that mother natures gives us! Do not give your baby any supplements, here is what you should do: If your child was born in the spring, winter or fall he can have a sunlight exposure anytime during the day. Summer babies should be taken outside between 7AM - 11:00AM or 4PM - 8PM, do not take your baby outside between 11AM - 4PM during this time the rays of sun are the strongest, even adults should be in shade during these hours. My daughter's face was almost always in the shade, but her legs, arms, even stomach have sun exposure every single day, of course if the weather permits. Start with few minutes a day of direct sunlight exposure, in a couple of days add few minutes and gradually increase amount of minutes under the sun. Do not use sun scream, because it will block all the vitamin D that the skin can produce. 

IMPORTANT: If you took your baby outside between 11AM and 4PM make sure he is in the shade, all the time! Rays of sun are the strongest during these hours, even 2 minutes under the direct sunlight may burn your baby's skin.

For your information: I think that people that come to the beach around 2PM are crazy! It is a complete insanity 1. The sun rays are very dangerous 2. The water is already warm, so if you would like a break from the heat, the water wouldn't do much. 3. Even if the water is cool enough, the longer you stay in the water, more chances you get to get burned, because water reflects the sunlight, which means your are doubling your exposure to the sun at its worst hours. 4. The water at 8AM is very clear and clean and calm, by the time its 2PM it is not clear and the waves are playful. 5. 2PM is lunch time, siesta, my friends!

Conclusion: Have a breakfast at home, bring it with you to the beach or grab in on the go around 9AM, stay on the beach no later than noon,. have lunch somewhere inside and if you can take a nap, read a book, take a break from the beach and cool off by staying inside. If you come back to the beach around 2:30PM stay in the shade and in the shade only until 4PM or even later.


0 comments:

 

Copyright © Layered Cake Design by Free CSS Templates | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger